Recently named Chief Brand Ambassador, Jennifer Williams brings six years of experience working in different capacities for Dental Select, including product development manager and Chief Experience Officer. In her new role, she oversees distribution channel relationships to help drive awareness of the Dental Select brand and technology.
Previously, Jennifer has held a variety of positions, including being a special education teacher in Bakersfield, California and on the island of Oahu, a healthcare information system consultant in Boston and San Francisco, and a real estate investor in the Bay Area.
On November 12, Jennifer will be recognized by the Salt Lake Chamber as a 2019 Pathfinder at the Women & Business Conference and ATHENA Awards Luncheon. This award is given to community leaders who “create new paths” and promote the development and recognition of women in business.
Here are five questions to get to know Jennifer a little bit better:
- What is your most rewarding professional experience? My most rewarding experience at Dental Select has been helping to revolutionize the experience our members receive. With the proprietary technology we’re launching, we are modernizing dental insurance (and thankfully bringing it out of the 1970s) to better serve our members, groups, and providers. Additionally, I truly enjoy working every day to build deep, meaningful relationships that will help shape and simplify the dental experience.
- What do you see as the biggest challenge women face in business today? I think balancing time for family, responsibilities at home, and a career is the most significant challenge women face in business today. The business community can help support us in the many roles we serve in life by continuing to work on solutions such as flexible working arrangements and generous maternity leave.
- What does your organization do to support women in business? Dental Select is a champion of female empowerment. In fact, half of our C-suite are women. As mentioned before, the business community can make an impact on women’s lives as they work and try to balance family responsibilities. That’s why we stand by and support our working women and also have a fully-paid 12-week maternity leave and a generous paternity leave policy.
- Who are your heroes and why? Jane Goodall. She spent most of her adult life learning about and advocating for animals. She urged each of us to take action on behalf of all living things and the planet we share? What motivates you? At work, I’m motivated by our hard-working team and am inspired by our revolutionary technology that is changing the way we think about dental insurance. In my personal time, I’m motivated by my love of animals and our planet. I’m working with the nutrition leadership in most of our local school districts to have “Meatless Mondays” offered to our kids, both for their health and the health of our world.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever been given? “Be yourself.” I’ve found when I am 100% myself everything always falls right into place.
- What is on your bookshelf? I’m in two book clubs (including the Dental Select book club), and here are some of my favorites: ‘Grit’ by Angela Duckworth, ‘Can’t Hurt Me’ by David Goggins, ‘Siddhartha’ by Herman Hesse, ‘The Good Earth’ by Pearl S. Buck, and ‘The Bluest Eye’ by Toni Morrison.