As Utah’s business leader, the Salt Lake Chamber believes that providing the business community key information on Utah’s economy is core to our mission.
The Salt Lake Chamber’s CEOutlook is a new statewide economic survey of Utah’s foremost business executives. As an authoritative business survey on economic sentiment in Utah, this quarterly survey will provide a forward-looking view of the Utah economy. This will also gauge business performance and general confidence levels from business executives representing the state’s diverse economy.
The survey will retain and publish an established set of questions to capture longer-term trends. These responses will develop the Salt Lake Chamber’s “CEOutlook Confidence Index” as a consistent measure of economic sentiment by Utah’s business community. The Salt Lake Chamber may also introduce additional opinion survey questions to gauge the sentiment of business leaders on key issues within the community and will reserve the right to publish such questions and data.
This information will be available as a resource to Chamber members, Chambers throughout the state, businesses at-large, elected officials, the public and the media to help make more informed decisions.
Furthermore, to ensure a rigorous and reputable survey we are partnering with the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute at the University of Utah. Their team will be responsible for survey design, methodology and management.
- Each quarter the Salt Lake Chamber will release a summary of the findings including any trend analysis. This will also include a brief analysis and commentary from the Chamber’s President and CEO, and the Chief Economist.
- Other opportunities may include press events at local businesses, member call ins with the research team and Chief Economist, and a presentation to the Chamber’s Board of Governors each quarter.
2017 Polling and Data Release Dates:
- Quarter 1 (Q1): January 1 – March 31
- Q1 Polling: Week of February 13th
- Quarter 2 (Q2): April 1 – June 30
- Release Results for Q1: Week of April 3rd
- Q2 Polling: Week of May 15th
- Quarter 3 (Q3): July 1 – September 30
- Release Results for Q2: Week of July 10th
- Q3 Polling: Week of Aug. 14th
- Quarter 4 (Q4): October 1 – December 31
- Release Results for Q3: Week of October 10th
- Q4 Polling: Week of Nov. 13th
- Will release Q4 Results at 2018 Economic Review – Date TBD
The Salt Lake Chamber has invited 50 business executives representing Utah’s diverse economy to participate. This panel has been weighted by industry, and includes a mix of firm size and geography.
Participants have made a two-year commitment providing the ability of a longitudinal study in which questions can be followed at specified intervals over a long period, often many years. The key feature of a panel design is that they collect repeated measures from the same sample at different points in time.
|Industry||# of Panel Participants||3-Year Avg. Contribution to GDP|
|Agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting||0||1%|
|Transportation and warehousing||2||4%|
|Finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing||12||25%|
|Professional and business services||6||12%|
|Educational services, health care and social assistance||4||8%|
|Arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation and food services||2||4%|
|Other services, except government||2||3%|