On the eve of the 2020 election, the Salt Lake Chamber issued the following principles to guide America’s peaceful and constructive transition of power, calling for:
- Civil debate around ideas and policies that will guide the future of our country.
- Voting and access to voting without threat or intimidation.
- Patience as every vote is counted so that all voices may be heard.
- Accurate reporting of results and the avoidance of premature or presumed outcomes.
- Commitment to the peaceful assumption of power based on certified election results.
- Fostering civility and unity no matter the prevailing candidate or party.
We condemn today’s violence as an affront to these principles. As Americans we must respect the rule of law and the process set out in the Constitution for the peaceful transition of power. This process ensures a stable foundation upon which businesses and markets can support individuals, families and our communities in Utah and throughout America.
ABOUT THE SALT LAKE CHAMBER
The Salt Lake Chamber is Utah’s largest and longest-standing business association. A statewide chamber of commerce with members in all 29 Utah counties, the Chamber represents the broad interests of the state’s 63,000-plus employers, which employ more than 1.4 million Utahns. This includes thousands of Chamber members and their employees. With roots that date back to 1887, the Chamber stands as the voice of business, supports its members’ success and champion’s community prosperity.