Salt Lake City― 2018 was an important year of innovation in Utah Walmart stores, as the company made good on its promise to make shopping easier for Utah customers, saving them time and money through the rollout and expansion of several in-store innovations. The company also supported its more than 18,000 Utah associates through increased training, new handheld apps, robotics and other technology designed to make their daily tasks easier. Walmart will continue to lead retail innovation in 2019.
“Technology and innovation for both customers and our associates is changing the way people shop and how our associates can assist customers,” said Don Schulthies, Walmart Market Manager for Utah. “In 2018, customers loved online grocery pickup and grocery delivery. This year, we’re working to expand these options in Utah along with our popular in-store Pickup Towers and other new store innovations.”
The following are examples of the customer-focused innovations launched or expanded in Utah stores.
Grocery Pickup and Grocery Delivery
- Our customers love our online grocery pickup option. It gives them the convenience of shopping online and the ease of quickly picking up groceries without having to leave their cars. The best part: It’s all at no additional cost. Grocery Delivery is also proving to be a hit with our customers. To use either service, customers shop online or through a mobile browser at Walmart.com/grocery.
- Currently more than 30 Utah stores offer grocery pickup, with additional expansion planned for 2019. There are currently 14 stores along the Wasatch Front that offer grocery delivery to metro-area customers.
Walmart Pickup Towers
- Walmart Pickup Towers are 16 feet tall and function like high-tech vending machines, capable of fulfilling a customer’s online order in less than a minute. Simply choose from millions of items available on Walmart.com and select the “Pickup” option at checkout. When the item arrives at your local store, an associate loads it into the Pickup Tower and you will receive notification. When you arrive at the store, step up to the Pickup Tower and scan the barcode sent to your smartphone.
- Currently nine stores across Utah are equipped with a Pickup Tower, with additional expansion planned for 2019.
Check Out With Me
- Walmart launched a new program called Check Out With Me. Outfitted with cellular devices and Bluetooth printers, associates at all Utah Supercenters can check out customers and provide a receipt, via print, text or email, on the spot.
Dotcom Store App
- The Dotcom Store App allows associates to help customers shop via Walmart.com, using a handheld device, when a customer requests an item that is not available in stores or is out of stock. Customers receive either a printed ticket or email/text with a barcode that allows them to pay at any register in-store using any payment method (cash, check, credit/debit and Walmart Pay). This technology is available in all Utah stores.
“Walmart’s ongoing investment in new innovations, such as Online Grocery Pickup, is designed with the customers in mind—saving them both time and money. By utilizing cutting-edge technology and focusing on customer care and employee satisfaction, Walmart continues to demonstrate its commitment to Utah and the local communities it serves,” said Derek Miller, President and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber.
Walmart continues to enable our Associates to perform their daily tasks and serve customers in faster, easier ways. Over the past year associates in Utah have been enabled with the following new tools, behind the scenes and in the palm of their hands, to help make their jobs easier and customer experience even better.
- The company has rolled out a suite of apps available to all salesfloor associates across Utah, placing critical information directly into the hands of those assisting customers every day. A few examples of these apps include:
- The Price Change App: product price changes are categorized by aisle so that associates receive them in the order they should be made, creating an efficient path through the store.
- The Availability App: automates information about products that are out of stock and shows the associate specifically what time the out-of-stock occurred.
- As part of the company’s commitment to training and innovation, Walmart will begin training all associates using immersive, virtual reality technology at every Walmart store in Utah by the end of the fiscal year. This builds on the success of virtual reality training at Walmart’s nearly 200 Training Academies.
- The Walmart app now features a store map uniquely created for each Walmart store in Utah, helping customers quickly and easily find everything from the hottest toys to every day essentials. Just open the app in store or at home and search for the item– the map will show the item’s exact location and new in-store signing helps customers quickly orient themselves within the store.
Third-Party Returns in Stores
- Customers returning items sold by third-party sellers on Walmart.com can now drop off what they want to return at Walmart instead of having to coordinate directly with the seller. All they have to do is package the product they would like to return at home and bring it to the store where an associate will help print the return label and send the item back to the seller. All Utah stores offer Third-Party Returns.