About the Women’s Leadership Institute
The Women’s Leadership Institute was established in January of 2015 with the mission to elevate the stature of female leadership by improving society’s understanding of the value of diversity in leadership roles, training women in leadership skills and conveying the positive impact female leaders have on economic development, vitality and the overall health of the state of Utah.
The primary objective of the Women’s Leadership Institute include the following:
- Compellingly demonstrate the value and historical contributions of women in leadership to the Utah economy.
- Help women reach their full leadership potential.
- Increase opportunities for women to serve in leadership roles in business and government.
About the ElevateHER Challenge
Choosing to accept the “ElevateHER Challenge” means an organization pledges to elevate the stature of women’s leadership. Each organization may adapt its own policies within its unique structure to meet the commitments.
WLI suggests focusing on each of the following areas in order to reap the full benefit of enhancing women’s leadership.
- INCREASE THE PERCENTAGE OF WOMEN IN SENIOR LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: Ensure that women are included in the candidate pool for senior-level positions. Understand and communicate the value of women leaders to the success of the organization. Encourage women to apply for senior leadership positions.
- INCREASE THE RETENTION RATE OF WOMEN AT ALL LEVELS OF YOUR ORGANIZATION: Assess outmigration among women. Provide opportunities for women to help design and implement development programs that incentivize women to remain with the company.
- INCREASE THE NUMBER OF WOMEN ON YOUR ORGANIZATIONS BOARD OF DIRECTORS, EXTEND THE INFLUENCE OF WOMEN IN YOUR INDUSTRY AND ENCOURAGE WOMEN TO SERVE ON COMMUNITY AND CORPORATE BOARDS: Ensure that women are included in the candidate pool when openings occur on corporate boards and support leadership training opportunities for corporate board development. Encourage involvement in your industry by serving on community and corporate boards.
- MONITOR PAY BY GENDER AND CLOSE IDENTIFIED GAPS: Assess salary gaps within the organization. Develop a plan to close identified gaps and monitor progress.
- ESTABLISH A LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT AND/OR MENTORING PROGRAM FOR WOMEN: Evaluate current leadership development and mentoring programs available to women in the organization, or implement such programs and track increases in female employee participation.
- URGE WOMEN TO RUN FOR PUBLIC OFFICE AND GIVE FOLLOW-UP SUPPORT: Communicate to employees the value and importance of gender diversity in creating public policy that affects business, communities and families. Recruit women to run for public office. Support women who file for public office by offering financial support and/or campaign structural support.
- CREATE INNOVATIVE WAYS TO ELEVATE THE STATURE OF WOMEN’S LEADERSHIP IN YOUR ORGANIZATION.