The Salt Lake Chamber Leadership Utah program offers insight into opportunities and challenges facing our state.
The program will begin on October 23, 2020 and will continue through July, 2021. The schedule features ten monthly, half-day classes. Each topic is examined in-depth by experts in that particular field. Participants are given access to vast amounts of data, information, and resources, which are compiled in a well-organized, well-developed format. Much of the information acquired by participants is not available or accessible through other sources.
During the 2020-2021 program year 1/3 of the class will have the opportunity to attend in-person every third month starting in November. Please note: October will be virtual for all participants.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
A diverse group of individuals will be selected to take part in Leadership Utah, including representatives from both the private and public sectors. Candidates must currently hold middle- or upper-level management positions within their organizations. A maximum of 60 people will be admitted to the program.
A confidential selection committee will evaluate all applications. The online application will be the sole basis for selection.
Each candidate will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Must be a representative of a company who is a member of the Salt Lake Chamber
- Educational background
- Work history and current position
- Demonstrated level of interest in the community
- Aspirations to serve on boards, in other leadership roles in the community, and in key positions within their organization
- Strong likelihood of remaining in the area for at least five years following completion of the program
- Full endorsement and support from their employer
- Strong commitment to the program
ABOUT LEADERSHIP UTAH
The quality of a community’s future is determined by the quality of its public and private sector leadership. If a community is seriously interested in trying to change things from the way they are to what they should be, it will begin with a firm commitment to seriously analyze its problems and to identify, educate, train, and support a team of public and private sector community leaders to attack those problems. Without that commitment, a community cannot develop the intelligent, creative, and energetic local leadership network that is essential for the community to achieve its full potential.
The Salt Lake Chamber has made a commitment to the quality of the area’s future. Leadership Utah was formed in 1984 and began its first training program in January 1985. The Chamber is dedicated to provide the necessary direction to establish, train, and support a network of aware and knowledgeable citizens ready to take on the challenges of an ever-changing society.
The fee for each participant that is accepted into Leadership Utah is $1,000 for members in good standing with the Salt Lake Chamber. The fee is to be paid in full prior to the first session. This tuition covers the cost of meals, activities, materials, and program administration. *Please note, this is a members-only program. If your company is not a member, please contact a business development representative at (801) 364-3631.
A strong commitment to the program is necessary if individuals are to benefit fully from the Leadership Utah experience. Participants are required to attend 80 percent of all scheduled activities in order to graduate.
LEADERSHIP UTAH CLASS OF 2021 SCHEDULE
- October 23, 2020 – Orientation and Leadership
- November 13, 2020 – Health Care
- December 18, 2020 – Community Service
- January 22, 2021 – Education
- February 19, 2021 – Government
- March 19, 2021 – Arts, Sports & Entertainment
- April 16, 2021 – Economic Development & Tourism
- May 21, 2021 – Environment & Infrastructure
- June 18, 2021 – Religion & Culture
- July 16, 2021 – Crime & Law Enforcement
- August 17, 2021 – Graduation Luncheon (11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
- 8:45 a.m. In-person class participants (20 max.) arrive to the Salt Lake Chamber offices (starting November 2020)
- 9:00 a.m. Virtual meeting begins (This will be an interactive call)
- 12:00 p.m. Virtual meeting adjourns
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch (in-person participants only)
- 12:30 p.m. Leave for tour (in-person participants only)
- 1:00 p.m. Tour (relevant to monthly topic)
- 2:00 p.m. Tour ends (recap and photos/videos will be available to virtual class members)
Month 1: All participants will join virtually from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Month 2-10: A select group will have the option to join in-person and take a tour after lunch (no more than 20 participants). The rest of the group will join virtually. Each participant will have the opportunity to attend three in-person classes and seven virtual classes.